Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Tradition Vs Identity


We get so busy working, taking care of the home, and running errands, that we forget to stop and pay attention to details or the people around us.  When was the last time you went to the book store and sat in the magazine section reading and wondering how you would start a new hobby, or try a new recipe? Maybe get in the car and go sightseeing?   

After a whole week for running around and catering to everyone else, this past week Njeru and I went to Philly on a date night to see the film, Mother of George.  Of course I was dying to see it because it was directed and stared Nigerians (my peoples).  The film was a little slow but a great conversation piece on traditions and marriage.  Everyone has their traditions and family plays a role in shaping those traditions.  My question to Njeru was, how are we going to successfully merge our two traditions and beliefs together without loosing our identities?  When you marry a Nigerian you marry their family, and the movie speaks to that.  I don't want to get so caught up in tradition that we forget to celebrate and honor what has brought and kept us together for so long.  

In this movie the wife was struggling to conceive. She faced both external and internal pressure from the family.  It became a struggle for of the characters to retain their identity in the face of cultural and family pressures. What I learned was that when we give into the pressure, opinions and expectations of other people we tend to make the wrong decisions that have lasting impact.  Go and check out Mother of George and tell me what you think about the film and story.  It has received many great praises at Sundance.  Thanks Azar and Colleen for encouraging me to see it.





I do believe that there is something to say for a strong family unit.  It helps when raising children, celebrating special occasions, and going back to your roots.  SO when Njeru and I do decide to get married, will he be marring the family?  No, he will be marring me and I embody my roots, family, traditions, and experiences.  


I am a sucker for a great restaurants!  So that same night we went to Village Whiskey.  Famous for their whiskey and burgers. Who would have ever thought putting short ribs on french fries was a good ideas?  It was delicious!  Thanks Gordon for the recommendation. Check out the pics below:

















1 comment:

  1. This movie looks so good! I'm going to have to see it. You know how I feel about everybody being all up in my uterus lol. I love that you said your boo will be marrying you. I wish someone would have told me that. Yes, you get a new family but a married couple has to start their own traditions as well. Some will be from our cultures but some won't be and that is okay. It is always wise to have things we carry from our elders but not everything evolves with the times and that is okay too. Great date night idea too. I may need to try Philly out.

    ReplyDelete